Traditional Vanilla Recipe
4 Vanilla beans
(supplier for madagascar & Mexican vanilla beans:
or you can find them at local spice stores – here in St. Louis they have them at our outdoor farmers market called Soulard)
Seal tight bottle or container
Decorative bottle (have your friends save their old vanilla bottles – soak off the label and put your own label on!)
1. Using a sharp kitchen knife, cut a lengthwise slit down the middle of each vanilla bean.
2. Cut vanilla beans into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces.
3. Pour vodka into your container.
4. Add vanilla beans to container and shake.
5. Wait and shake. It will take 30-days for the vanilla extract to mature. Once each day, vigorously shake the container for 30-seconds.
6. Once the 30-day cycle has finished, strain the liquid through a colander or coffee filter and place in decorative bottle.